Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Long Take Reflection

The long take video was, for me, a very different type of film. Only after we started filming did I realize how difficult it is to have everything go perfect in a single take. Even in the final product, there are a few mistakes that I wish I could change with another cut, but alas, that does not fall in line with the point of the project. The first step in creating the project was to select the music track, and since my entire apartment had been listening to the song "Home" for weeks, it seemed to be an appropriate choice. Listening to the music helped me put action to the song - every time the singer changes, the followed character changes as well; every time there is a "Hey!", this is when the change is supposed to briskly occur.

Slowly but surely we added on parts and figured out where different people should be at different cues in the film. The way we got it all to work was simply by practicing over...and over...and over. The final take we did was the one that we ended up using, and it took nearly two hours to perfect the take. As I explained in class, we had a stereo playing the song for everyone to hear the cues when we were filming the video, and I then cut the sound and added the song in directly over the video in the final stages. The song had to be cut in a couple places to make it run smoother; the cuts are hopefully not very noticeable to someone that doesn't know the song by heart. Overall, I had a great time creating and editing the video - the final product is definitely worth my time and effort, as well as my group-mates effort and all of my suite-mates who starred in the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment